Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Put My Food on a Conveyor Belt!

Have you heard about conveyor belt sushi restaurants?  In some fast-food restaurants in Japan sushi is put onto conveyor belts and rotated around the customers so they can just pluck off the food they want.  The plate (color, decoration) indicates its price.  At the end of the meal your server counts the plates on your table.  I saw a show on tv where Kobayashi trains at one of these to prepare for Nathan's hotdog eating contests.



This sounds like a great idea to me!  Maybe not so much for sushi (I'd rather my raw fish not ride around the restaurant a few times before I eat it), but for pizza, sandwiches, nachos, pasta, soup...

I mean how many times have you read the menu thinking your meal would be "x", but when it arrives you think it's not "x" at all.  Maybe you pictured a bigger serving, more toppings, less sauce, or whatever, but if you had seen it first you wouldn't have ordered it.  I can just see myself sitting at my table watching the parade of food go by.  It would be almost like a game - That looks good but it's on a blue plate so it's $15, nooo... that looks too greasy... that salad looks just right and it's in a red bowl so it's $8, perfect!  And how could you pass up on dessert if it's floating by tempting you with it's melting chocolate and whipped cream?  

Yes, I think Japan is onto something here.  Anyone been to one of these?   

No comments: