Saturday, October 4, 2008

Freakin Out Over Price Increases

Tonight we planned on picking up BW3 for dinner on our way home from the mall.  We had a carryout menu with us, so after we left the store my husband called and placed our order so it would be ready (and we could avoid taking our baby out of the car seat while waiting for the food).  When we got there he ran in...and came right back out.

"It's $15!  They changed their menu, our sandwiches are $2 more each!" He fumed.  

"Oh." I say, and hunger confuses my brain about why that matters to me.

"I'm canceling the order!"  He dashed back inside, and reappeared without any food.  He declared that we would go to Panera instead, to protest the rising cost at BW3.

"You realize that we will spend the same amount of money at Panera as we would have at BW3, right?"  

"It's the principle...I thought I was going to pay $10," (we had a $5 off $15 coupon), "but suddenly I was going to have to pay $15 for the same food.   I want different food."  

The funny thing is after we got home, ate, and felt better for sticking it to the man...we goofed.  I pulled out the two menus, old and new, and noticed something.  The old menu says sandwiches do not come with a side so we ordered a basket of wedges to share...our total was $15.40.  The new menu says (in fine print that is almost unreadable at the bottom of the menu) sandwiches are served with fries...so we could have canceled the wedges and paid $15.38.  You know, the person at the counter could have explained that to my husband as he ranted and raved over the new prices and this all could have been avoided.

No comments: