Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Poem for my Servers

There are many things that make a good dining experience, and they are no secret.  Good food, good atmosphere, and good service.  You can be in a beautiful setting with a delicious spread in front of you, but if your server isn't bringing you drinks you're not going to leave happy.

Being a server is a tough job!  I tried it for one summer back in college and I struggled at it.  It was in a comedy club that served dinners before the show, and snack food and drinks during the show.  For those three months I tried to earn high tips, but failed.  I just couldn't do it.  Having to carry all those drinks without spilling them, while walking past another table and seeing their empty glasses and making a mental note to get them refills, and hearing my order come up in the kitchen, while two more of my tables were just seated, and another guy needs more napkins and ketchup...It was too much for me!  My tips proved that because I consistently brought in the lowest amount of cash at the end of the night.  I was nice, I was funny and friendly, but I wasn't fast, and I was forgetful.

It's easy to feel abandoned or wonder why our servers aren't always on the ball...but my memories of that summer remind me that my server might have a lot on her plate besides waiting on our table.  I feel even more appreciative when I have a server who seems relaxed and friendly, and who manages to chat with us while also giving us our space.  I try to make it a point to let me servers know that they are doing an excellent job, and I tell them what I like.  "Thank you for bringing out crackers for my toddler when she was fussy.  I appreciate how you always had our drinks ready before we had to ask."  Everyone likes to feel good about what they do.  And so I shall end with a haiku:

Bringing food and drinks
Smiling and happy server
You make dining fun!

No comments: